Safe to Sleep is a temporary homeless women’s shelter, primarily supported by donations from individuals and area churches.
- An assessment by One Door is required prior to entering the women’s shelter by calling 417-225-7499 (300 E. Central)
- If the guest is approved, One Door will provide shelter information as well as pick up times/locations.
- After Hours:
- Call Burrell Crisis Hotline at 417-761-5555 or 800-494-7355 for a phone assessment
- Do not go to Burrell without getting the phone assessment
- Approved guests will be allowed temporary entrance to shelter with an agreement to go to One Door the next business day for full assessment
Safe to Sleep needs two volunteers each night (7 days a week, all year long) to assist with opening and closing the shelter. Volunteers spend the night and sleep in shifts–most volunteers report getting about four hours of sleep each night they serve. Finding and scheduling volunteers is one of the service’s greatest, year-round needs, and women and couples are allowed to serve. Safe to Sleep Volunteer Form.
- Arrive ahead of the guests for set-up (7pm on weekdays; 6pm on weekends)
- Get to know the ladies and show a sincere interest in their needs
- Set up the evening and morning refreshments
- There are always two volunteers on duty. They take turns sleeping during the overnight hours.
- At 6am, the guests are awakened. Breakfast is served and guests help by sharing cleaning duties.
- Volunteers can serve full or partial shifts
If you are interested in volunteering, contact Kelly Harris at (417)862-3586 or email@example.com and arrange a date you can visit the shelter location. There is a short application form and a $10 application fee for a background check. You will be trained and scheduled with an experienced volunteer.
- Cough drops
- Individual Hand Sanitizer
- Travel Size Tissue/Kleenex
- Individual Deodorant
- Travel Size Toothpaste
- Liquid Hand Soap
- Panties – Size 5
- Coffee – Regular and Decaf
- Hair Brush (Best deal @ Dollar Tree)
- Shampoo, full size
- Conditioner, full size
- Body wash, full size
- Large powdered creamer – unflavored
- Disposable razors
- Hair ties, brushes, combs, etc.
- Panties, all sizes
- Rolling suitcases (carry-on size)
- Bus passes
General financial support is always welcome, as needs can vary in scope and urgency. In addition to providing a safe, overnight, emergency women’s shelter, Safe to Sleep helps to provide our guests with other services such as basic needs (see list below), case management and other resources (bus passes, help with prescription drugs, housing plans, etc). We also provide transportation to and from the shelter each day, so fuel and van maintenance is an added expense.