Volunteers are needed. Please contact Connie Payne at 417-862-3586 ext. 237 or email her at [email protected].
Hear Joseph's Story
A Message From the Director
My name is Connie Payne and I am the Director or the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. Our program advocates for the rights of those residents living in long-term care homes by making sure their rights are met by empowering them to speak for themselves and helping to resolve complaints/concerns through involvement of all parties involved. We welcome all support from the local to federal level and wish to reassure all residents that our goal is to make a difference in their lives by providing assistance through our staff and volunteers.
Looking at the progress of 2016
It is very important to get to know each person who lives in the nursing home, especially those with dementia. Ombudsman staff and volunteers talk and spend time with each resident in order to learn about their preferences, their past, what they enjoy doing and their goals and wishes for the future in order to assist them should a problem and/or concern arise.
–Connie Payne, Director
What to expect
Volunteers for the program are trained and expected to:
- To advocate for residents’ rights
- To provide community education on long-term care issues
- To provide ombudsman services to all residents of all long-term care facilities in Missouri
Ombudsman volunteers help to achieve these goals by:
- Making sure all residents are informed of their rights as established by law
- Empowering residents and helping to resolve all complaints at the facility level through the involvement of all concerned parties
- Helping residents stay fully informed of their rights such as: physician choice, freedom from abuse and restraint, access to privacy and respect, the ability to participate in activities, access to purchasing goods and services, participation in one’s care, ability to remain in care facility, and the rights to communicate freely, manage one’s own finances, and retain marital rights.
Any resident in a long term care facility in participating MO counties is eligible for the services of Ombudsmen.