Safe to Sleep is a temporary women’s homeless shelter, hosted by two area churches.
Looking for shelter?
Shelter Admission process:
- An assessment by One Door is required prior to entering the shelter by calling 417-225-7499 (300 E. Central)
- If guest is approved, One Door will provide shelter information as well as pick up times/locations.
- After Hours:
- Call Burrell Crisis Hotline at 417-761-5555 or 800-494-7355 for a phone assessment
- Do not go to Burrell without getting the phone assessment
- Approved guests will be allowed temporary entrance to shelter with agreement to go to One Door the next business day for full assessment
A Message From the Director
Perhaps you have heard of Safe to Sleep, a women’s emergency overnight shelter. We provide women of all ages a safe and compassionate place to sleep. A volunteer staff assures a welcoming and peaceful evening, with snacks and a shower. We rely entirely on volunteers, donations, and the kindness of community churches to provide this service. Romona Baker – Director
Hours of operation
In addition to providing safe, overnight, emergency shelter for women, Safe to Sleep helps to provide the guests with other services such as material needs (hygiene items, rolling suitcases), case management and support (bus passes, help with prescription drugs, housing plans), and more (fuel for the van). General financial support is always welcome, as needs can vary in scope and urgency.
Safe to Sleep needs two volunteers each night (7 days a week, all year long) to assist with opening and closing the shelter. Volunteers spend the night and sleep in shifts–most volunteers report getting about four hours of sleep each night they serve. Finding and scheduling volunteers is one of the service’s greatest, year-round needs, and women and couples are allowed to serve. Safe to Sleep Volunteer Form
|ONGOING SHELTER NEEDS –
We welcome your contribution in unlimited quantities.
|Cough drops – a truck load would be great||Panties, all sizes|
|Shampoo, full size||Socks|
|Conditioner, full size||Coffee, regular and decaf|
|Body wash, full size||Disposable razors|
|Individual deodorant||Chap Stick|
|Lg. powdered creamer – unflavored||Hair ties, brushes, combs, etc.|
What is Expected of an Overnight Volunteer?
- Arrive ahead of the guests for set-up (7pm on weekdays; 6pm on weekends)
- Get to know the ladies and show a sincere interest in their needs
- Set up the evening and morning refreshments
- There are always two volunteers on duty. They take turns sleeping during the overnight hours.
- At 6am, the guests are awakened. Breakfast is served and guests help by sharing cleaning duties.
- Volunteers can serve full or partial shifts
If you are interested in volunteering, contact Jessica Luraas at 343-4189 or [email protected] and arrange a date you can visit the shelter location. There is a short application form and a $10 application fee for a background check. You will be trained and scheduled with an experienced volunteer.
Who Needs Safe to Sleep?
Every single night of the year, homeless women need a safe place to sleep.
These women may be:
- Elderly without rent money
- Victims of domestic violence
- Recently unemployed
- Lost roommate and evicted
- High medical bills
- All ages; each a unique situation
Each night there are 30-40 women seeking safety at Safe to Sleep. Sometimes, there are up to four new women a night. In four years, Safe to Sleep has served more than 1200 different women.